Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup With Kale
Jan 22, 2018
For the Soup:
- 16 oz chicken breasts (~2 large)
- 4 cups kale, deboned
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 15 oz. can sweet corn
- 1 4.5 oz. can green chiles
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-3 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot (depending on how hot you like it)
- 48 fl. oz. chicken broth (~6 cups)
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- For the spicy tortilla strips
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Soup
- Place all ingredients (minus the Greek yogurt) in your crock-pot.
- Turn to high and let cook for 3-4 hours*. Once your chicken is cooked all the way through, remove and shred. Then, place back in crock-pot. Add Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
For the spicy tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Then, thinly slice tortillas to create your strips.
- Toss in olive oil and then sprinkle on spices and toss again.
- Bake tortilla strips at 400ºF for 5 minutes.
- Toss and then put back in for 5-10 more minutes until golden brown.
*Alternatively, cook on low for 8 hours.
*For a lower sodium count- use low sodium chicken broth